10 Signs The End of this Age is Near (Part 1)
I. When Will These Things Be?
A) And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple. And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Matthew 24:1-14)
B) Jesus challenges the disciples’ awe of the temple made with human hands and warns them of its destiny. Later when they have left Jerusalem proper and are on the Mount of Olives they come to Him privately to question Him about His prediction and to ask Him of about the things to come.
C) The disciples (Mark 13:3 record that it was Peter, James, John, and Andrew) ask Him three questions.
1. When will these things be (destruction of the temple)?
2. What shall be the sign of Jesus’ coming or return?
3. What shall be the sign of the end of this world (age)?
D) Aion- From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; (Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance)
1) presence 2) the coming, arrival, advent Truth is accurate words and correct accounting, but truth is more than just the right facts; it is unchanging, reliable, and applicable reality that is not dependent on circumstance, culture, or creed.
It was commonly used in the papyri of the visit of the emperor. It is only used in the Gospels here in this chapter (Mat_24:3, Mat_24:27, Mat_24:37, Mat_24:39). Matthew emphasized by the Holy Spirit Jesus’ message of the Kingdom of God, and here we see the emphasis of the return of the King.
F) The trouble in discerning Jesus response throughout Matthew 24 and 25 to these three questions is determining the sequence of His answers and the prophetic co-mingling of the events that will take place for all of the above.
II. Do Not Be Deceived
A) Jesus is very direct about our need to be sober-minded, diligent, and committed to Truth. Our commitment to truth is not just a mental agreement with what is right, but as always it is pure devotion to a person. The message to the church at Ephesus in Revelation 2 is indicative of people that are committed to what is right and still move from passion for a Person.
B) Sign #1 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. (Matthew 24:4- 5) Two ways this can be read and I believe both are applicable.
1. Many claiming to be Christ will come and deceive people.
2. Many will come claiming Jesus is Christ and deceiving people.
Either way we are to take heed. This means it is important to believe rightly. Not just arbitrarily, but correctly, for what you believe will determine how you live. Belief determines Action. This is why must continue bringing our unbelieving hearts before the fire of His Word and Presence to be convicted and transformed. (John 16:8-11)
III. Social and Natural Phenomenon will continue with increasing frequency and intensity
A) Sign #2 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:
1. Since the fall of theRoman empirethere has been the rise and fall of many empires and many wars throughout the earth; culminating in the last century with at least one war that engulfed 4 continents with forces at work on 6 continents.
2. Presently we see now more than ever the Middle East at the focal point of human conflict.
B) Sign #3 there shall be famines…literally widespread scarcity of food in contrast to just a local family in need.
C) Sign #4 there shall be pestilences…literally diseases or pests. The inference is widespread disease.
D) Sign #5 and earthquakes, in divers places.
1. Earthquakes all over the world.
2. John Wesley wrote a message about the Causes and Cures of Earthquakes. One section declares “Now, that God is himself the Author, and sin the moral cause, of earthquakes, (whatever the natural cause may be,) cannot be denied by any who believe the Scriptures; for these are they which testify of Him, that it is God” which removeth the mountains, and overturneth them in his anger; which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.” (Job 9:5, 6)”
3. As we have already discussed the number and frequency of earthquakes 6.0 and higher has been more so in the last 3 decades than the years of recording before. How much more since Jesus’ time.
E) These are the beginning of sorrows– literally birth pangs
More to Come…